- Browse our library for fiction and non-fiction books, documentaries and movies or contact our librarian, June Horner at email@example.com.
- Speakers Bureau: Need to put a face on the issue? Invite someone one of our dynamic speakers to present to your workplace or congregation or social group.
- Training Resources: Find copies of those great slide show presentations and handouts.
General LGBT Support and Information
- Equality Maryland
- Rainbow Families D.C.
- Military Community Services Network
- D.C. Metropolitan Police Department Gay and Lesbian Liason Unit
- LGBT Political Investment Caucus
- COLAGE – Families of GLBT Parents
- Gay & Lesbian National Hotline
- Resources at ‘In the Life’ website
For the Latino Community
Somos Familia supports Latino families with children who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ) and conducts education to create family and community acceptance. The group was started by two mothers to support other families with similar experiences.
For the South Asian Community
Trikone is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people of South Asian descent, who trace their ethnicity to one of the following places: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet.
Some Ted Talks
- Ash Beckham talks about Coming Out of the Closet, for everyone, because “we all have closets.”
- Norman Spack: How I help transgender teens become who they are.
- Geena Rocero: Phillapina trans fashion model comes out.
- Chase-Brexton Health Services, Inc., serving the LGBT community in Maryland with offices in Baltimore City, Randallstown, Columbia and Easton
- Whitman Walker Health, serving the LGBT community in the District of Columbia with offices in Northwest and Southeast
- The Trevor Project, preventing suicide among LGBTQ youth
Affirmative Health Professionals
- Edna Brandt,MAc, LAc,DiplAc (accupuncture) & Clayton Elizabeth Spivey,MAc, LAc,DiplAc
8342 Old Montgomery Rd, Columbia MD 21045410.799.5883/www.acupunctureworks.net ….. Over 25 years of experience each. Harmonizing body, mind and spirit to help people thrive. Bring us what western medicine hasn’t addressed to your satisfaction
- S. Hunter Thompson, MAc, LAc, ADS, CHC (accupuncture)
Maryland University of Integrative Health
7750 Montpelier Rd, Laurel, MD 20723
Transitional medicine for anyone who is going through any type of transition in life. I specialize in transgender and gender queer/ questioning
- Lisa Gordon, DC
5053 Durham Rd. W, Columbia MD 21044
Chiropractic, NeuroCranial Integration, Advanced Allergy Therapeutics,and Applied Kinesiology. 25 years of experience. Structural, neurological, nutritional, glandular, molecular support for chronic conditions and optimal health
- Jean Thompson, DC
Thompson Chiropractic and Wellness
8885 Centre Park Drive, Suite 2F, Columbia MD 21045 410.740.1112/www.thompsonchiropractic.org
I have over 15 years experience in comprehensive chiropractic care for pain management, chronic neck and back pain, TMJ, extremity disorders, nutrition, and general wellness.
- Sean Lare, LCSW-C
Sean Lare Counseling & Consulting,
10632 Little Patuxent Parkway, Century Plaza 2000 Building, Suite 245,
Columbia, MD 21044
Sean Lare, LCSW-C, is a therapist who specializes in gender therapy. He has 10+ years of experience helping LGBTQIA children, youth, adults, and their family members develop new identities, navigate their transitions and coming out process, and care for their mental health and relationship needs. He also has his own lived trans experience.
- Kate Oliver, Cathy Wackford, Linda Linton, MSW, LCSW-C
A Healing Place in Columbia
7050 Oakland Mills Rd, Ste 140, Columbia, MD 21046 443.325.0360/www.ahealingplaceincolumbia.com
Individual, group and family therapy for people of all ages, from infancy through adulthood. We are advocates for LGBTQ people.
Health Care Providers
Drs. Port, Stein and Lamos are adult endocrinologists who see patients at Uof Md. Midtown, 827 Linden Avenue, 2nd floor, Baltimore, MD 20201. Phone 443.682.8200; fax: 410.856.3840.
- Sue Silber of Silber, Perlman, Sigman and Tilev, P.A., is a Takoma-based lawyer who specializes in LGBT law.
- Free State Legal Project offers pro-bono and reduced-fee legal service for low-income lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Marylanders: 410.625.LGBT; intake call-in hours: Monday (9-1); Wednesday (5-7); Thursday (9-1)
- Adoption Pride – Great Source for LGBT Adoption Information
- Maryland Attorney General’s Office – Advance Directives
- Howard County Department of Finance – Affidavit of Domestic Partnership
- Lambda GLBT Community Services
Reading Lists, Community Publications & Online Media Resources
- Suggested Reading – Boston PFLAG
- GLSEN Booklink
- Welcoming Schools: Books to Engage Students
- Baltimore Out Loud
- Baltimore Gay Life
- The Advocate Magazine
- In The Life Media: In The Life Media produces change through innovative media that exposes social injustice by chronicling lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender life
Safe Place is a group for Christian Parents of LGBT children. Meeting on the 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m. at a private home in Marriottsville, Md., they seek to grow in knowledge of God and mature as disciples of Jesus through Bible study, prayer, fellowship, praise and worship. It is a safe place to share experiences as parents while working out faith, and being fully committed to loving and connecting with LGBT loved ones. Safe Place believes all people are fearfully and wonderfully made in God’s image, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
For more information, Contact SafePlace2015@comcast.net
- In this sermon, Rev. Mark Tidd, founder and co-pastor of Highlands Church Denver, reveals how God forever changed his life and his vision through the privilege of loving and caring for a young family in his congregation with a transgender child.
- Christ United Methodist Church, Owen Brown Interfaith Center, 7246 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD 21045
- Channing Memorial Church (Unitarian Universalist), 3220 Corporate Ct., Suite C., Ellicott City, MD 21042 Welcoming all races, genders, & sexual orientations.
Contact: Rev. Susan LaMar, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbia Jewish Congregation 5885 Robert Oliver Place,Columbia, MD 21045
- Columbia United Christian Church, 5885 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia, MD 21045
- Kittamaqundi Community Church,5410 Leaf Treader Way, Columbia, MD 21045
- Laurel Presbyterian Church, 7610 Sandy Spring Rd., Laurel, MD 20707
- St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 5885 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia 21045
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Columbia, 7246Cradlerock Way, Columbia,MD 21045
- List of LGBTQ Friendly Churches in Maryland (GayChurch.org)
- Need help creating a GSA in your school? Reach out to Saida Agostini at FreeState Legal Project
- GLSEN’s Think Before You Speak Educator’s Guide
- Maryland Public Secondary School Athletic Association Trans Policy
- The Safe Schools Coalition
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network
- GLSEN – Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network
- Listserve for LGBT Homeschoolers
- Is This the Right School for My Gender Non-Conforming Child?
- Howard County Bullying App created to increase reporting of bullying incidents that occur in Howard County.
- Howard County Public Schools Bullying Reporting Form (available in Spanish)
- Princeton Review 2014 List of 20 Most LGBTQ Friendly/Unfriendly Colleges
- Campus Pride 2014 List of LGBTQ Friendly Colleges
- PW’s Sports Bar and Grill, Howard County’s only gay and lesbian sports bar
- Club HIPPO, in Mount Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore city; where everyone is welcome
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center of Baltimore (GLCCB), offers everything from support groups to yoga classes
- Lambda Legal’s Transgender Advocate’s Guide to Updating and Amending School Records
- National Center for Trans Eqaulity’s Fair Housing and Transgender People helps shelters understand how to become trans competent.
- Gender Expansive Youth Report – *NEW* from HRC & Gender Spectrum
- Dr. Johanna Olson, of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, did 24 wonderful videos about trans and gender non-conforming children. Great introduction and tips for a multitude of aspects of raising our magical kids. You have to sign in to watch, but so very worth it!
- Check out this Reading and Documentary List for children and youth about gender, transgender and gender creativity
- View a documentary, Becoming Me, that showcases eight transgender and gender nonconforming children
- Download Welcoming Parents of Trans and Gender Nonconforming Children to PFLAG
- Download Definitions, Facts and Figures
- Play a Gender Spectrum Plotting Game
- Gender Odyssey annual national conference
- Gender Spectrum resources and education for families and schools, including a national conference
- Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA) resources for kids, families and schools
- Learn how one Maryland family changed their child’s gender marker
- ABC Primetime Nightline: My (Extra)Ordinary Family: Transgender
- CNN, May 18, 2009: Boy to Live as a Girl
- 20/20 with Barbara Walters (date?): My Secret Self, first of five parts
- Anderson Cooper, AC360: The Sissy Boy Experiment Part 1, June 8; Part 2, June 9; Part 3, June 10, 2011
- Maryland Findings of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (2011) conducted by the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Supporting Siblings of Transgender Children
- This video helps parents understand how to support the siblings of their trans child
- Transgender Allies blog post Why is My Sister a Boy Now?
- The Experience Project allows you to search for others who have a trans sibling who would be open to connect.